Thai(ish) Pumpkin Soup
Posted on 01 March 2016
We are so happy to announce or first Vegan Recipe post!
This Thai(ish) Pumpkin Soup recipe is to die for.
Created by Vegan Supply Co contributor Ellie
↠ Ellie Eats
What you'll need:
(serves 4 big eaters or a small army)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 chillies, sliced (with seeds)
- Half of a Kent pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1L Vegetable Stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass, (remove the dry outer layer and bash remaining stalk with a mortar and pestle or rolling pin to release the flavor)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves *optional
- 2 tins of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin coconut milk
- Juice of 2 limes
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of coriander, finely chopped
What to do :
Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the curry paste and cook for one minute. Add the onions, garlic , ginger and chilies; stirring to coat in paste. Add the onions to the pan and turn the heat to medium-low. Sauté until the onions are soft (about 5 minutes). Add the pumpkin, lemongrass, lime leaves and stock. Bring soup to the boil then turn down heat to simmer for about 15 minutes or until pumpkin has softened. Add the chickpeas and coconut milk and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove the lime leaves and lemongrass and puree the soup with a stick blender (or pour into a normal blender) and add lime juice to taste (I like mine really limey). Serve in bowls topped with spring onions and coriander (and slices of chili if you prefer a little extra zing), curl up on the couch and enjoy the flavour explosion.
Thank you Ellie, we are so happy to have you on our team! Check out her blog for more inspo.